Varied winter fun on Mt. Kronplatz
Explore a snow-white and at the same time multi-faceted winter world! St. Lorenzen is situated at the foot of the ski area Kronplatz and therefore an ideal starting point for a varied winter holiday. Whether you prefer skiing, cross-country skiing, tobogganing, snowboarding, skating, snowshoe hiking or spending a romantic evening in a lodge – here your winter dreams will come true.
From St. Lorenzen a very attractive ski carousel is easily reachable. The ski area Kronplatz offers more than 110 kilometers of well-prepared ski runs – and facilities producing artificial snow in case of necessity. Thanks to over 30 ski lifts, skiers never have to wait for a long time and they quickly reach the varied ski runs – from training areas to very steep slopes. So passionate skiers are spoilt for choice. There is even a comfortable shuttle services from the village to the valley station of the cable car. Finally, also the ski runs of Dolomiti Superski are within easy reach from St. Lorenzen.
Winter sport & free-time activities
In the holiday region Kronplatz, there are waiting about 300 kilometers of cross-country ski runs – classic ones as well as skating runs.
For demanding cross-country skiers and winter hikers, a shuttle bus accompanied by a ski guide runs to different cross-country ski areas twice a week. If you want to participate, you just have to enroll at the tourist office the day before.
Tobogganing and ice skating
Do you not go skiing? Then you should try out tobogganing. In St. Lorenzen and environs, you will find three wonderful natural toboggan runs, including inns at the side of the path inviting you to stop off.
- Toboggan run Haidenberg in Stefansdorf (three kilometers long, moderately difficult run, toboggan rental)
Tel. 0474 548062
- Toboggan run in St. Martin/Moos (racetrack)
- Toboggan run in Ellen (stop at the Häusler Inn in Ellen)
- Ice skating in the sports center in St. Lorenzen (skate rental and ice stock sport)
- Ice skating in Montal (natural ice rink)
Hiking on snow-clad trails and through unspoiled nature is a very special experience. In and around St. Lorenzen you will find many lovely winter walks to marvelous viewpoints. Hearty snacks with typical South Tyrolean products and proper folk music in a cozy mountain hut round the tour off.
Recommendable winter walks:
- Military cemetery Bruneck: St. Lorenzen – railway underpass east – roadway to Waldheim – Bruneck – ascent to the cemetery (trail no. 1 with blue/white marking)
- Rienz promenade to Bruneck: St. Lorenzen – walk along the river Rienz – Sebatum (Roman excavation site) – Stegen – Bruneck (trail no. 2 with blue/white marking)
- Maria Saalen: St. Lorenzen – St. Martin – past the Michelsburg Castle – Moos – Maria Saalen (trail no. 1 – red/white marking)
Another alternative to skiing is a guided snowshoe tour that we organize every Wednesday. You just have to enroll at the tourist office the day before.